The History of Skinwalker Ranch
People. Places. Lore.
A timeline of the legendary history of Skinwalker Ranch. Learn more about the people, places, and folklore that have surrounded the property for hundreds of years.
- 1776 – The Dominguez and Escalante Expedition travels through Myton along Skinwalker Ridge.
- 1789 – Treaty broken between Utes and Navajo.
- 1860 – Northern Ute Reservation established by presidential decree.
- 1860 – Utes join US troops in campaign against Navajo: Skinwalker Curse.
- 1880 – Several bands of Ute tribes are relocated by the US government onto the reservation surrounding Skinwalker Ranch.
- 1886 – Buffalo Soldiers are stationed at Fort Duchesne, one of whom is a known Mason and may have connections to the Masonic symbols seen etched into a rock wall.
- 1886 – The US military finalizes construction of a fort in Fort Duchesne.
- 1906 – Newspaper reports “Strange Noises” from homesteaders in the Uintah Basin.
- 1937 – Purchase and Assemblage by Myers Family.
- 1940 – 1960 – Pat Stringham reports both UFO and Skinwalker activity.
- 1979 – Arnold family (owners, Hilltop) witness UFO craft.
- 1992 – Sherman family acquires ranch from Garth Myers
- 1996 – Robert Bigelow acquires property.
- 1996 – 2002 – National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDS) Program operating on property.
- 1996 – 2013 – NIDS and BAASS program activities.
- 2015 – Bigelow Activities conclude.
- 2016 – Adamantium Real Estate buys Skinwalker Ranch from Robert Bigelow.
- 2019 – History Channel and Prometheus Entertainment begin filming “The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch”.
- 2019 – Kandus Linde and Tom Lewis become caretakers of Skinwalker Ranch.
- 2020 – Premiere of “The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch” airs on The History Channel.
Take a look back in time on the ranch.
Over the years we’ve found, received and curated historical images that represent what life was like on the ranch well before any scientific investigation began.
We’ll be adding to this section as more pictures are discovered and scanned, so check back often!